What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file that websites send to the user’s browser and are stored on their device, such as a personal computer, mobile phone, or tablet. These files allow the website to remember information about the user’s visit, such as language, geographic location, and preferred options, which can facilitate their next visit and make the site more useful by personalizing its content. Cookies play a very important role in improving the user experience of a website.
When browsing this website, the user is accepting that cookies may be installed on their device, which allows us to know the following information:
- Statistical information about the use of the website
- The user’s login to keep the session active on the website
- The preferred format of the website when accessed from mobile devices
- The user’s recent searches on the website and customization data for these services
- Information about the ads displayed to the user
- Information on surveys in which the user has participated
- Data on the connection with social networks for users who access the site with their Facebook or Twitter account.
Types of Cookies Used
This website uses both temporary session cookies and permanent cookies. Session cookies store data only while the user accesses the website, and permanent cookies store data on the device so that it can be accessed and used in more than one session.
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies is processed, the website may use:
These cookies allow the user to navigate through the website or application and use the different options or services available on it. For example, control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access restricted access web parts, remember the elements that make up an order, make a registration request or participate in an event, use security elements during browsing, and store content for the dissemination of videos or sound.
These cookies allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics on their device or that the user defines themselves. For example, language, the type of browser used to access the service, the selected content design, the geolocation of the device, and the regional configuration from where the service is accessed.
These are cookies that allow for effective management of the advertising spaces included on the website or application from which the service is provided. They allow the content of advertising to be adapted so that it is relevant to the user and to avoid showing ads that the user has already seen.
Statistical Analysis Cookies
These cookies allow for the tracking and analysis of user behavior on websites. The information collected through this type of cookie is used in the measurement of website, application or platform activity and for the creation of navigation profiles of the users of these sites, in order to introduce improvements in the service based on the usage data that users provide.
On some websites, third-party cookies may be installed that allow for the management and improvement of the services offered. For example, Google Analytics statistical services.
How to manage cookies in the browser?
The user has the option to allow, block, or delete cookies installed on their computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on their terminal, as follows:
- Google Chrome
- Click on the menu located on the toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click on Advanced. In the “Privacy and security” section, click on Content settings.
- In the “Cookies” section, options can be configured.
- Mozilla Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Tools menu.
- Select Options.
- Select the Privacy & Security panel.
- In the “Firefox will” option, choose Use custom settings for history to configure the options.
- Internet Explorer 9
- At the top of the Internet Explorer window, click on the Tools menu.
- Select the Safety tab and use the Delete browsing history option to delete cookies.
- Check the Cookies box, then click on Delete.
- Select the Security tab and use the Settings option to move the slider all the way up to block all cookies, or all the way down to allow all cookies. Then click OK.